Friday, March 20, 2009

A Modern Day Marie Antoinette

I have lived in Winter Park for almost 3 years now, not including my Rolly Colly days of course, and I just read my second article about Jacqueline Seigel, the extravagant wife of time share millionaire Steven Seigel. Playground Magazine has featured her on the cover of their latest issue with an entire expose within. The well written article boasts some quotes that are sure to put disdain on any realist's face and raise eyebrows of anyone who has a grasp on the concept of moderation. For those of you who don't know this woman who Playground appoints "Queen of Versailles" ,completely aloof to the severity of the world's financial crisis, she is indeed a modern day Marie Antoinette.

Although I can't recall which publication had featured the first article I read, I clearly recall that it's the same old song and dance about this queen's exorbitant lifestyle. Instead of being photographed on a thrown surrounded by her eight children as seen in Playground, her portrait was taken in her closet surrounded by a sea of her material objects of affection. It's all about what she has and how she lives and sadly there is very few reference to what the public probably wonders the most...what else does this woman do with her time? With each of her 8 children cared for by his/her own nanny this woman must have time for some volunteer work or charity fundraising right? Isn't that what most wives in her circle do? With countless jobs lost and our nation suffering greatly, readers don't want to be reminded of what they can't have. They need an example, hope amidst the chaos and it would certainly boost morale to hear about how privileged families are contributing to the greater good of their local community where it is needed the most. I would personally take on the task of liquidating Jacqueline's purse and shoe collection on Ebay and distribute it amongst several charities I know to be in need of funds!

In this controversial article Jacqueline describes how her family has adjusted to our plummeting economy. As someone who was raised with some similarities to this family's practices I can't quite call the kettle black but come on, we all have to swallow that big pill labelled "Reality" at some point. Sure it doesn't go down easy but such is life! Isn't this woman embarrassed to openly admit that in an effort to teach her children about the devastating economic state of our nation she has encouraged them do household chores in an effort to "cut back". Honestly, remove silver spoon, and insert foot but only after you've dropped your 8 children off at Habitat for Humanity or Easter Seal's Camp Challenge for some good old fashioned community service. Maybe your 8 kids can finish the construction that's been on hold on your 90,000 square foot palace, that's 16 hands and a lot of free labor! And might I add, if I had known her and the Mr. were such a powerhouse baby factory I would have made more of an effort to bait her into my store!

It's not like me to judge anyone but Ms. Antoinette has made herself quite the easy target. I hope that some news flash will prove me wrong because I love more than anything to see the good in people. But seriously, if anyone wants to defend the way in which she has portrayed herself be my guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment